Although many women and men find gray hair attractive, others do not like it so much. At a certain age, men may enter a sort of crisis and struggle to hide their gray hair, asking, “How can I cover my gray hair naturally at home?” We know that dyes contain chemicals that sometimes damage your hair. That’s why I want to explain how to address this issue naturally:
The most effective way to cover gray hair calls for the use of natural dyes. These dyes are not as durable as artificial ones, but they are a healthy solution to hide our gray hair naturally. We can also use pencils, gray hair sprays, or henna-based dyes (100% natural only).
I will now go into more detail about why gray hair appears. I will also give you a collection of natural remedies that will help you cover them without dyes.
What is gray hair?
Hair that has lost its natural color pigments (melanin) turns gray. Around the age of 30, many men start to get gray hair. They usually appear first near the temples and then spread throughout the head.
But, the remedy for gray hair does not simply dye. We recommend many other tricks to hide gray hair in this article without needing to rely on dye.
First, it’s essential to know why gray hair grows.
What causes gray hair?
One of the leading causes of gray hair’s appearance is the hair follicles’ exhaustion, the site where the hair is born. However, other factors are related to the appearance of gray hair, such as old age, poor nutrition, stress, excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, and Vitamin B12 deficiency.
Next, I’m going to go into more detail on these causes:
Stress is one of the problems that cause widespread harm to the body. It accelerates the appearance of gray hair (sometimes suddenly like Marie Antoinette syndrome) and headaches. In addition, stress can cause significant damage to the stem cells that regenerate hair pigment.
You should know when your parents started to get gray hair. This information will give you some insight into the age at which they might appear on you.
Genetics may be one of the reasons why you see grays at such a young age.
Your genes can even determine how much gray you’re getting. As fatalistic as it sounds, if your ancestors had prematurely gray hair, the same thing would most likely happen to you.
As we know, food is deeply related to all the processes that occur in our bodies. For example, a bad diet can also cause the early appearance of gray hair.
Because of this, I recommend you take a Vitamin B12 supplement, which may prevent white and gray hair before the age of 50. Some of the foods that contain these nutrients are:
Little known fact: Excessive consumption of coffee, spices, and fried foods could cause the graying process to be accelerated.
Lack of iron
Another mineral that you should include in your diet is iron. Lack of iron in your diet is one of the theorized causes of premature graying.
You can find this nutrient in celery, corn, nuts, spinach, carrots, and cucumbers.
Unhealthy habits and emotional problems
Some of these unhealthy habits include smoking, drinking alcohol in excess, and not exercising. Additionally, constant fights, arguments, and depression can cause our hair to start to lose color. It is even possible that the hair color fades amid some chaos or trauma, returning to the usual color after these situations pass.
Other common reasons
Other reasons may be:
- Genetic defects
- Exposure to certain substances
You may be interested in “How to take care of gray hair, for men.”
Home remedies to cover gray hair
How can men cover GREY hair? How can I cover GREY hair without chemicals? Here is how:
If you don’t want to use chemical treatments, rosemary is one of the most common ways to cover gray hair naturally. The rosemary plant is not only a well-known herb at the culinary level; it also contains beneficial antiseptic properties.
These antiseptic properties serve to gradually and thoroughly eliminate gray hair.
- Boil half a liter of water and add several rosemary stems (or two spoonfuls of powdered rosemary).
- Put a lid on the pot to prevent the mixture from becoming volatile when boiling.
- Strain it when it is ready.
- Let it cool down for 5 minutes and use a vaporizer to apply the mixture all over your head.
- Don’t forget to do so starting from the roots to the tips.
- After you’ve applied it, you can massage it into all the areas of your hair.
- This treatment will make your hair start to darken a few days after applying it.
You may think this is a little strange or impractical. If so, you’re wrong. I’m telling you that butter of pure animal origin is a perfect weapon in the fight against gray hair.
Butter has vitamins, minerals, and beneficial proteins providing nutrition to your hair.
Don’t forget, just because you are a man. You should not forget to moisturize your hair. Butter can help hide gray hair and give your hair moisturizing nutrients.
In addition to combatting gray hair and nourishing it, butter also slows down the aging process and helps restore hair color.
- Pour a spoonful of melted butter on your hair.
- Then, massage into the hair so that the butter goes into the roots and scalp for a few minutes.
- After this procedure, you wash your hair as you usually do.
A strategic haircut is an option if you haven’t gotten too much gray yet, especially if you only have gray on your hair’s sides.
You can hide this gray with a haircut. Use a degraded cut if you want to be fashionable, and make the hair less noticeable.
If you have gray hair on top, this is a problem a haircut won’t fix easily. If shaving your head isn’t an option for you, you’ll have to play around with the shape of your hair. You’ll get to a point where you won’t even notice you have gray hair. An example would be combing it to the side.
You may be interested in “What can a man do to make his face look younger? 20 Tips.”
This remedy is one of the most natural and effective treatments you could find. Potato peel water is used to nourish and darken gray hair.
This liquid is concentrated in vitamins and minerals that benefit the hair from the root while helping it to darken.
- In two liters of boiling water, add a heap potato skins.
- Boil for a few minutes, then let it rest.
- Strain the liquid, and pour it into a glass container.
- Apply the liquid to wet hair with a light massage, starting from the roots.
- Rinse with plenty of water.
- You can apply this mixture three times a week.
Quinine and rosemary
We already know that rosemary is extremely beneficial for hiding gray hair. Coupling it with cinchona leaves (which contain quinine) is another trick to darken and nourish hair for a long time.
Rosemary is scientifically proven to have anti-tumor properties. This property may encourage you to choose this remedy.
- Put two cups of water in a pot (roughly 500 ml).
- After it boils, add three tablespoons of cinchona leaves (30 g).
- Reduce to low heat, and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add three spoonfuls of rosemary (30 g).
- Then, turn the heat off and let it stand covered for 20 minutes.
- Strain it and place the liquid in a suitable container.
- You will apply this treatment when you are in the shower, after washing your hair with your usual shampoo.
- When you have rinsed your hair, spray it generously with rosemary and cinchona water before drying it.
- You can use this remedy at least three times a week.
Chamomile and Turmeric
This remedy is useful if you have light blonde or brown hair; turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties. Chamomile and turmeric are also very effective in reducing scalp irritation.
- Boil two cups of water (500 ml).
- After it boils, add chamomile (1 tablespoon, or 10 g) and turmeric (4 tablespoons powder, or (40 g).
- Turn the heat off, and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- You will apply this by rubbing the liquid on your hair as a final rinse after your usual wash.
- Don’t forget to massage it in. It is essential that the mixture penetrates the hair roots. Massaging makes the result more effective.
- You can repeat this process two or three times a week.
Sage and rosemary
This is an ancient traditional remedy. You may have already heard of it because of how effective and useful it is.
Sage combined with rosemary is a remedy that hides gray hair and prevents excessive hair loss and loss of shine.
It also has the advantage of easy access to these ingredients in any supermarket.
- Boil 2 cups of water (500 ml).
- Add 3 tablespoons of sage (30 g) and 3 tablespoons of rosemary (30 g).
- Cook it on low heat for 5 minutes.
- After this time, cover the pot and let it rest for about 20 minutes until it cools down sufficiently.
- Pass it through a sieve, and then add it to a container with the atomizer.
- Apply it after washing your hair as you typically do.
- Spray the mixture on and leave it on without rinsing for best results.
- You can repeat it twice a day, and at least three times a week.
Black nuts are used to darken gray hair and will also add softness to your hair.
- To prepare this remedy, add a liter of water in a pot with 8 black walnuts.
- Boil them for 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait for it to rest.
- Pass it through a strainer to get the liquid, and add it to a jar.
- To apply it, cover your hair with the liquid and let it act for 30 minutes.
- Then, rinse your hair and repeat this every other day.
This food helps to stop the appearance of gray hair. You should massage your hair from the root with a little onion juice.
One trick while preparing the juice is to cut the onion as small and thin as possible. You should do this to make a kind of paste or rub the half onion through the skin of your scalp.
From avocado’s many benefits are its usefulness in covering gray hair.
Avocado has many medicinal properties due to its large number of fatty acids. It also has many minerals and Vitamin E.
Vitamin E is moisturizing, restructuring and contains antioxidants that slow hair’s aging.
- Cut an avocado in half and mix the pulp in a container.
- Place it on your scalp and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Rinse and wash your hair as usual.
This is one of the oldest remedies for gray hair that exists. This remedy relies on the juglone, a substance extracted from walnut leaves used as colorants in cosmetic products.
- To prepare it, boil water.
- Add two handfuls of walnut leaves.
- You must cook them for 15 minutes, let them cool, and then apply them to your hair.
One of the secrets to preventing premature graying is a healthy scalp. That’s why ginger is the perfect ally to help you.
It is useful in improving circulation in the scalp and helps the hair follicles grow and strengthening.
- Just bring the water to a boil.
- Add the grated ginger, and let it boil for another 15 minutes.
- Apply to your scalp.
This oil comes from a seed containing linoleic acid, which contributes to and regulates fat and Vitamin E production, which are responsible for eliminating premature aging.
This oil is easily absorbed into the scalp by massaging in a circular motion and is useful in combatting gray hair.
Wheat germ is a great natural product to prevent premature graying and nourish your hair. It also contains large amounts of Vitamin E.
Wheat germ is a product that you cannot apply alone. Instead, mix it with yogurt or honey to activate the antioxidant properties, preventing and covering gray hair.
Apply the mixture to your dry hair 30 minutes before washing. Don’t forget to massage in circular motions for a better result that penetrates the roots.
You may be interested in “How can I grow out my hair without looking bad? 4 Tips.”
In short, to cover your gray hair, you must start by living a more peaceful life. Start by adding calming habits to your life because stress is one of the leading causes of gray hair.
In addition to this, start consuming more vitamins and nutrients that will help your hair shine. Then, you can choose the haircare remedy that you like best.
Finally, you can test several of the remedies mentioned above in one week. In the long run, you will undoubtedly cover and reduce your gray hair almost entirely.