I have always wanted to be taller, and I’ve researched until I found the answer to the question: how to be taller? Most men are taller than women on average. For females, a tall male represents a dominant, attractive man, with more genetic qualities to pass on to their children; these men are more powerful.
After a lot of research, this is what I know:
To be taller, you have to stimulate the growth of your muscles and bones. If you want to achieve this, it is essential to consume calcium and vitamin D, practicing stretching exercises, and eat a diet rich in protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats.
Not all of us have this gift of being tall. If it is your case and you are short, this article is for you. We will give you many tips to increase your height, in addition to the foods that you should consume.
The natural growth in people stops being realized in our body when they reach adulthood, so the height you have between 15 and 20 years is the one you will have throughout your life.
How to grow taller?
To be taller, follow these steps:
Control your posture
Most men ignore this step, but it’s super important if you want to look taller. It would be best if men always stood with a straight back and not hunched over; this way, they will have good posture and look taller.
Use tight clothes
Wear tight clothing to accentuate the lines of the body a little more. When you wear loose clothing, those lines disappear, making you look smaller.
Wear dark colors like black, dark blue, or forest green. They will help you look taller and thinner. If you use these colors on all your clothes, these clothes will also make you look taller if they have vertical lines, since the horizontal ones will achieve the opposite.
Get enough sleep between 9 and 11 hours.
When you sleep without noticing, your body grows, sleep between 9 and 11 hours every night if you are under 20 years old. When you sleep, your body naturally produces a human growth hormone (HGH)
A scientific study published in the International Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology concluded that increasing growth hormone levels in children increases their height considerably.
The International Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology recommends this number of hours men should sleep:
- For newborns, 18 hours is recommended.
- Children under two years old need to sleep between 13 and 18 hours.
- For children between 3 and 5 years old, the ideal is to sleep between 11 and 13 hours.
- Children between 6 and 7 years old need to sleep between 10 and 12 hours.
- Teenagers between 8 and 14 years old should sleep between 9 and 11 hours.
- For teenagers between 15 and 17 years old, the ideal is to sleep at least 7.5 to 8 hours.
- Adults 18 and older need 7-9 hours of sleep.
During adolescence and puberty, with consistent activity, you can become taller. During adolescence, you should work your muscles at least 30 minutes a day.
Go to the gym to exercise and develop your muscles, practice sports to burn fat, and you will also build your muscles more. If you don’t want to do this type of exercise, you can even walk to school, the library, the store, the mall, or visit your family.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle
A man like this chubby one may not be smaller, but being fit will make you feel better and look taller.
Eat lots of protein
Protein is an essential nutrient for growth, which is why it should never be lacking in your daily diet, both in children and adults. Some of these foods are chicken meat, dairy products (cheese, milk, yogurt), egg. The protein is essential because it forms new tissues and is rich in amino acids that stimulate growth hormone (tryptophan, Arginine, lysine, and tyrosine), especially in children.
The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.36 grams of protein per pound (0.8 grams per kg) of body weight.
This amounts to:
- 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man
- 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman
Consume a lot of calcium
Foods that contain calcium will help your bones be healthier. You can find these in green vegetables such as spinach, kale, and so on.
Get enough zinc
According to studies, the lack of zinc causes children to have low growth. Among the foods they have are wheat germ, peanuts, and pumpkin seeds.
Consume enough vitamin D:
Vitamin D stimulates muscle and bone growth; if this vitamin is deficient, growth will slow down, and weight will increase.
You can find this vitamin in alfalfa, mushrooms, and foods fortified with vitamin D, including milk and cereals. In addition to this, exposure to the sun also provides you with this vitamin. Men should spend 15 minutes daily in the sun so that they can guarantee their body enough vitamin D.
These foods are responsible for providing energy to the body. They also help preserve proteins so that they perform their functions correctly.
The ideal is to consume carbohydrates of slow absorption as the complex sugars (integral cereals, vegetables). Also, sugars of fast absorption, since they provide energy in a quick way like fruits.
Eat unsaturated fats
These fats are very beneficial for the body since they are responsible for protecting the cardiovascular system and forming the membranes that cover the organs. Some of these foods are nuts, olive or vegetable oil, and all kinds of seeds.
For natural growth, it is necessary to consume calcium, phosphorus, and iron.
- Calcium from milk and its derivatives, legumes, fish, and nuts.
- Phosphorus is found in the foods already mentioned and also in meat.
- Iron is present in green leafy vegetables, meats, legumes, and whole grains.
What can stunt your growth?
- Drugs and alcohol. These substances reduce your growth if they are consumed when you are young.
- Poor nutrition. This problem can prevent you from reaching your maximum height.
- Caffeine in adolescence. Although caffeine has been shown not to stop growth, caffeine does not allow you to sleep well and regularly. If a child or teenager consumes caffeine, they will not grow because it interferes with the 9 to 10 hours of sleep they should get.
- Smoking. According to a study by doctors Mike Vuolo and Jeremy Staff published in the Official Journal of the Academy of Pediatrics, children exposed to cigarette smoke or smoke are smaller than those who don’t.
- Steroids. Steroids can inhibit bone growth when children are young or teenagers. In addition to lowering sperm and raising blood pressure, there is an increased risk of a heart attack. Children and adolescents who are asthmatic and have used steroid-releasing inhalers are lower than those who were not treated with steroids by an average of 1 inch.
Tips and tricks to look taller (men)
Wear well-fitting clothes
The first and most important thing a man wants to look taller is wearing fitted clothing.
Even though you tend to wear oversized clothes, you will look shorter than if you wear those kinds of clothes.
For a short man, wearing too big a size makes him look like a child wearing adult clothes.
Wear shoes with thicker soles
I’m not telling you to wear shoes with lifts or anything like that. What I’m suggesting is that you focus on wearing shoes with a thick sole.
If you wear shoes with a thin sole, this will not add anything to your height. You can use, for example, boots that always have a very high heel area that can make you look up to two centimeters taller.
I know you will not be wearing boots all year round, but there are still boots, tennis shoes, or running shoes that you can wear with thick soles.
Wear a pair of pants in the same color as your shoes
That is a great trick to look taller and thinner. It would be best if you tried to create a monochromatic look between your shoes and your pants.
Doing this will create an illusion in the leg that will make it look longer since there will be no interruption between your pants and shoes.
If you wear a shoe that contrasts with your pants’ color, there is a visual interruption, and it makes your leg look a little shorter.
The best colors for this type of look could be black, navy, blue, and gray.
Wear clothes with vertical stripes
You can apply this trick in several ways. The one that can be more formal is using a shirt with vertical stripes. That is also a visual illusion in which you force people to look at you from the top down.
When you need to wear sports clothes, you can wear Adidas pants with very long stripes on the sides. Clothing with vertical lines will always make you look taller and thinner.
Wear a short hairstyle
Another trick is not to have super long hair. If you are a short man, you should not have hair that covers the whole neck area. That gives the appearance of being even smaller.
A short hair will show off your neck and make you look up at your face and create a visual length. If you combine this with a hairstyle with enough volume, you can easily add up to two centimeters in height.
Straighten your back
To look longer and thinner, you must straighten your spine. That is perhaps the easiest tip on the list. As you straighten your back, you instantly rise by 0,4 to 0,8 inches.
If your back is arched, watch how you extend your spine, throw your shoulders back, pull your chest out and lift your head to a length instantly.
Stretch as much as you can because it relaxes the muscles allowing you to grow a little more.
Use special foot insoles.
Another incredible and also invisible tip is to use insoles inside your shoes. That is another little trick that can help men increase their height.
I advise you to use templates that are comfortable and not too high. Use a maximum of 1 to 1,5 inches of insoles. I’ve seen 3-inches insoles that I think look pretty bad and are also super uncomfortable to use.
Use short jackets
Wearing short jackets is essential if you want to look taller. These will give us the visual effect that we have our trunk a little more elongated. Remember that the more fabric the clothes have, the smaller you will appear to be.
The jackets you use always have to reach the waist, not lower or higher. We can use practically any type of jacket or jacket.
Complete your outfits with accessories. You may be wondering what do accessories have to do with height? Very simple, when you use them, you draw people’s attention to other parts of your body.
By using accessories, you will quickly divert attention, and no one will notice your height. You can wear watches, bracelets, scarves, sunglasses, etc.
Don’t get self-conscious.
Don’t let your height make you self-conscious. I know that many people have a hard time because they would like to be taller and feel more like they belong.
Don’t let this happen. It will significantly affect your self-confidence. Listen to me; people notice and respect a confident man much more even if they are short.
You may be interested in “How can I look younger than my age naturally?“
How to increase human growth hormone (HGH) naturally.
This hormone plays a vital key role in growth, metabolism, body composition, and cell repair. The pituitary gland produces it.
There are different ways to increase the levels of this hormone, such as the following.
1) Losing body fat
When a person has high-fat levels in their body or belly, it is more difficult for them to produce human growth hormone. It has been proven that a person who has three times more fat in the stomach than another thin person produces less than half the amount of this hormone. For this reason, if you want to stabilize this hormone’s levels, try to lose the fat in your body, especially the fat in your belly.
2) Practice intermittent fasting
One way to stimulate HGH is to perform 8, 12, 16 even 24 hours of fasting. Intermittent fasting will help improve growth hormone levels by reducing body fat levels and regulating insulin.
Insulin peaks can disrupt growth hormone levels naturally. Studies show that fasting for three days in 16-hour periods increases growth hormone levels by 300%.
3) Taking Arginine Supplements
When you consume Arginine according to studies, it improves the levels of HGH during sleep. You should ingest 100 or 259 MG per 2 pounds of weight or approximately 6-10 to 15-20 gr per day.
4) Do not overeat before going to bed:
Growth hormone is naturally released when you sleep at night. If you eat many calories, you can raise your insulin levels and thus lower your HGH.
5) Reduce your sugar intake:
Reducing sugar and carbohydrate intake helps regulate HGH.
According to studies, healthy people who do not have diabetes have 3 to 4 times higher HGH levels than people with diabetes.
6) Practice high-intensity exercise:
Exercise is an effective way to significantly raise HGH levels, depending on the type of activity, intensity, and food consumption during the exercise routine.
All exercises are beneficial, but more HGH elevation has been seen in weight lifting sessions with short rest periods. It is recommended to perform repeated sprints, interval training, training where weights are used to elevate fat loss.
7) Taking supplements to enhance human hormone growth
- Glutamine: a dose of 2 grams increases levels by up to 78% in the short term.
- Creatine: a dose of 20g increases HGH levels for 2-6 hours.
- Ornithine: a dose of 39 minutes after physical activity increases HGH levels.
- L-Dopa: 500 MG of L-Dopa ingested in patients with Parkinson’s disease improves your physical condition and physical performance in a short time in HGH.
Exercises to be taller
Touching your feet
- Standing up with your feet together and legs stretched out, bring your waist forward.
- Try to touch your feet with the tips of your fingers.
- Repeat this operation daily to touch them if you cannot do it from the beginning.
- For this exercise, you will have to hang from the bar with your hands.
- If there are hoops, you can move forward from ring to ring, and if you can, you can hang yourself with your feet.
- That will make the vertebrae separate and stretch the spine to achieve the desired effect.
Jumping the rope with your legs together
- Try to jump as high as you can without separating your legs, this will make your leg bones longer, and you will be able to increase your height a few inches.
- Practice this exercise 3 times a week. The main thing is to maintain the correct posture and technique to avoid injury.
Practice the bridge
Lie down on your back with your legs bent, your arms straight and your hands placed on the ground.
Push up and body until you are arched in the shape of a bridge.
Yoga exercises to become taller.
Yoga exercises help you get rid of the hump and prevent future back problems. Achieving your height with yoga exercises will depend on your posture, habit, and the technique with which you practice yoga. If you do it correctly, you’ll get a better posture, and you’ll be able to stretch more and grow a few inches.
- Marjaryasana: with this exercise, you lengthen and stretch your muscles, while at the same time, you increase your resistance, strength, and muscle mass.
- Ardha Kurmasana: known as the turtle pose, this asana stretches the spine alleviating any back pain or spinal problems. The bending in the stretch that is done increases the level of flexibility in the arms and hips. Due to this, a stretch is provided during the asana.
- Bhujansana: is known as the snake or cobra. You have to lift your head along with your core, representing the hood of a cobra while the body remains lying down. The stretch tones the spine because you get a lot of blood supply, and the stretch tones all the muscles in the abdomen.
Men with more height are more attractive to women, but you should not feel self-conscious if it is not your case. You should know that height will be determined by genetics; you stop growing between the ages of 14 and 18.
You can increase your size a little if you are in the growth stage, lead a healthy life, have a good diet, and practice daily spinal stretching exercises. Also, to keep your growth going, don’t drink alcohol, don’t smoke, and do not use steroids.
You will get taller with the growth of your muscles and bones. It is essential to consume calcium and vitamin D, practice stretching exercises, and eat a diet rich in protein and carbohydrates necessary for growth if you want to achieve this.